Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Most decadantly evil banana bread ever!!

I recently made banana bread for my DD's back to snack. I have grown tired of my usual recipe; America's Test Kitchen Banana Bread (the old version; not the newer one). Don't get me wrong. It's a great recipe; moist, flavorful and my DH's favorite. I wanted something more decadent and closer to desert than snack bread. So I did some quick research and tweaked my recipe.
The results were awesome! My DH has named the new recipe his favorite. Unfortunately, it's also seriously high in carbs and calories so I won't be making it often.

The really bad cell phone pictures below are my attempt at the new recipe minus the optional ingredients (banana slices and walnuts). DH is allergic to nuts and I didn't have a non-mushy banana that would slice nicely. The banana slices on top of the bread should work though as I have seen a few recipes that layer them on top of the loaf.

4 Bowl Banana Bread

1st Bowl (small)- Cinnamon sugar dust; blend thoroughly
½ cup light brown sugar (best) or regular sugar will do
1 tsp cinnamon

2nd Bowl (medium)- banana mixture; mix together
2 ripe bananas mashed; be sure the bananas are turning black….excessively ripe.
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup milk

3rd Bowl (medium)- dry ingredients; sift together
1 ½ cups flour
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon





4th Bowl (large)- wet ingredients; cool butter then mix in 1 ingredient at a time in order
½ cup melted butter; cooled
1 cup light brown sugar (best) or white sugar will do
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs


 Optional: ½ cup crushed walnuts or pecans; one slightly ripe banana cut into thin slices

  1. Grease loaf pan with 2 tbsp butter covering sides and bottom completely. Then dust pan with cinnamon sugar dust (1st bowl). Reserve left over sugar dust and set loaf pan aside.



  2. Mix 3rd bowl (wet ingredients) with 4th bowl (dry ingredients). Use bowl 4 to combine them.
  3. Fold 2nd bowl ingredients into bowl 4. Fold in optional nuts at this time as well.
  4. Carefully pour or spoon batter into loaf pan. Be careful not to disturb sugar dust on the sides of the pan.
  5. Lay optional banana slices on top of the loaf batter fanned out like a deck of cards along the longest sides of the pan. Leave the center free of bananas so the loaf will rise evenly. Sprinkle top of the loaf with leftover sugar dust.
  6. Bake at 325 F for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted into top of loaf comes out clean.


The only thing that would make this loaf of banana bread better is somehow folding in caramelized banana bits.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to make banana bits perfectly to do this. They need to be only slightly chewy on the outside and still rather soft on their inside so they can be folded in without falling apart.
But I just had the idea of flash freezing the bits. Maybe that would work. I will have to try it next time.

No comments: